Component 2: Improving Research in STEM and Agriculture
Higher Education Improvement Project
HEIP-ITC-SGA#22 “Initiative on the development of wind load for the design of building structures in Cambodia” is a sub-research project in Component 2: Improving Research in STEM and Agriculture, Higher Education Improvement Project granted by the Royal Government of Cambodia. This research project focuses on four main objectives including:
- Develop a reference wind speed map for the calculation of wind pressure on buildings and other low-rise structures via statistic wind analysis
- Develop a calculation procedure of wind load. The development of a calculation procedure of wind load firstly aims for the application of the reference wind speed using the developed map along with an existing international calculation procedure (ASCE) for low-rise and regular building structures.
- Establish the load combination for the structural analysis and design by providing reliable load combinations based on the developed calculation procedure for the wind load.
- Provide suggestions and recommendations to the authorities and professionals in private industries for the newly developed calculation procedure of wind load.
In order to achieve these objectives, collaborations through training with partner universities and industries are necessary. Therefore, the activity requires voluntary technical assistance from experts in Thailand, who have tremendous experience in developing building codes for Thailand, particularly wind load. The experts from two Thai universities, King Mongkut’s University of Technology Thonburi (KMUTT) and Thammasat University (TU), have offered technical training and assistance on wind load development in Thailand. This mission is held from 30 August 2022 to 03 September 2022 and led by Dr. DOUNG Piseth, PI of HEIP-ITC-SGA#22, and joined by Dr. HAN Virak, Co-PI of HEIP-ITC-SGA#22.
Dr. DOUNG Piseth, PI of HEIP-ITC-SGA#22, presented the research progress on wind data analysis to the KMUTT and TU, as well as sought research insight from KMUTT and TU sides for the improvement of the research outputs. Dr. DOUNG Piseth joined the training seminar on wind speed and the development of wind load code in Thailand and visited the structural and wind testing laboratories at both KMUTT and TU. Dr. HAN Virak, Co-PI of HEIP-ITC-SGA#22, represented the Faculty of Civil Engineering joined the training seminar on wind speed and the development of wind load code in Thailand and visited the structural and wind testing laboratories at both KMUTT and TU. He led a discussion on the activities and management system of the wind tunnel testing facilities. He also put effort to discuss the academic and research exchange program between ITC, KMUTT, and TU.
The objectives of the oversea trip to KMUTT and TU are described as follows.
• To join a training seminar and discussion sessions on wind load code development (basically, for Thailand)
• To visit and learn about the wind tunnel testing facilities at Thammasat University (TU)
• To exchange research expertise and strengthen academic collaboration between ITC, KMUTT, and TU